Nicola Taylor-Edwards posted about I'm A Friend of the Community Maternity Hubs on Facebook 2017-05-20 18:36:06 +1000I'm a Friend of the Community Maternity Hubs. Can you take the PLEDGE? #LoganMumsMatter
Logan mothers and babies need access to maternity care options that suit them.
Currently around 1 in 10 Logan women have little or no contact with healthcare or appropriate support services during their pregnancy – about double the average for Queensland.
We know there is a better way! A way that will support these families to have access to a care model that best suits their individual needs and provides a safe, supportive and nurturing start to life together.
We pledge to support the proposal made by the collaboration between Logan Together, Metro South Health, and over twenty consumer, community and health organisations.
Community Maternity Hubs would provide:
- A continuous relationship with a primary midwife from the first antenatal visit, right through labour, birth and post-natal care.
- Additional care from other health service providers based upon the individual needs of the woman and her family (e.g. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Maori and Pacific Islander health workers. GPs, obstetricians, allied health and child health nurses).
- A welcoming community or neighbourhood centre setting for appointments.
- Connection to other community supports and social activities.
- Ongoing Oversight Committee with guaranteed community voices, which ensures that agreed vision and philosophy of this care model remains integral on all levels to ensure positive growth, accountability and continuous improvement of services.
We know that these hubs will only succeed with the ongoing support of us as community members.149 pledges
I pledge to be a friend of the Community Maternity Hubs by:
- Telling my friends and family about this initiative.
- Staying informed about their progress through regular updates.
- Standing up to support the sustainability of these hubs in the future.