This page includes upcoming training for our Alliance, as well as assemblies and other public actions.
- Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 06:00 PM
- St Bernard Catholic Parish, Upper Mt Gravatt
- 2 people are going
This is the third meeting and final meeting for all Assembly Officers building towards our Founding Assembly, where all Assembly Officers from our districts will come together to share experiences and plan for our Founding Assembly.
This meeting is critical to the success of our Founding Assembly and we need everyone who has been involved to be there.
If you have questions or would like more information, contact Dave on 040841595
The Ipswich churches, union members and community groups who are involved in the Queensland Community Alliance have organised an Ipswich Mayoral Election Assembly. We will invite serious contendors for the Mayorality to attend, and ask them to engage with our organised civil society around the issues that concern us. This will include the need for better care for people living with mental illness and a more consultative approach, including to revitalising the city heart.
This will not be a candidates debate, or a rowdy meeting with gotcha questions. We will be disciplined civil society organisations coming together to seek to create a new relationship of two way respect with the next Mayor of Ipswich, where they respect our committment to fight to see our values reflected in the City Council.
- Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 06:00 PM
- Brisbane City Hall Auditorium in Brisbane, Australia
Since our humble beginnings in 2013, the Queensland Community Alliance has grown progressively. We have developed our capacity to act together and build relationships across our organisations, and won victories that have addressed pressures and improved our communities in Logan, Ipswich and Brisbane.
Now, it is time to for us to step out of the shadows, and claim our public role as organised civil society! We have shown we can achieve results in our local communities through unusual alliance of local community members.
Now is the time to take ourselves to the next level, to be publicly recognised for what we can achieve and move to the State level. The united work of our faith, union, community and ethnic organisations is rebuilding Queensland’s civil society and we need to show that we can:
- Hold decision makers in government and the market accountable
- Advance the common good
- Give meaning to our democracy by helping citizens take democratic action beyond the vote
- Provide a forum for the grassroots members of our organisations to join together and influence decision makers
Be a part of an historic night as we establish the Alliance and the power of civil society in Queensland!
help promote the Founding Assembly to your community.
- Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 09:00 AM – September 13, 2017
Foundations of Community Organising:
The training is based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation in over 65 years of successful organising experience.
This 2 day training institute will be held from 9am-4pm on two days in June (8th & 9th). It is necessary for all attendees to commit to attending both days.
Topics at the 2 Day Foundations training include:
- Community Organising: based on the history and tradition of our religious, union and community organisations
- Relational Organising: individual relational meetings, listening assemblies, research, negotiation and action
- Strengthening our Organisations: building a culture that is relational, action oriented and reflective/learning
- Using Relational Power in the public sphere to take collaborative action on common issues
There is no cost to attendees who are members of partner organisations in the Alliance, although we ask a $10 donation for lunch each day.